Oral Pathology Associates
Tissue Diagnosis & Consultation for the Health Care Professions
Our goal is to provide you with high quality, accurate and efficient diagnoses in order to ensure your patients receive the best care possible.
Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology is one of nine dental specialties recognized by the American Dental Association. It can be considered both a specialty of dentistry and pathology. The specialty focuses on the diagnosis, clinical management and investigation of diseases that affect the oral cavity and surrounding maxillofacial structures including, but not limited to neoplasms, inflammatory conditions and developmental pathologies related to odontogenic (tooth-related), epithelial, salivary gland, bone, soft tissue and hematologic origin.
There are hundreds of diseases that may occur in and around the mouth. Many are unique to the oral regions, some are similar to disease seen elsewhere, and still others spread to the oral region from distant sites. Included among these conditions are many that cause serious consequences if not accurately recognized, classified, and treated early.
Early recognition, classification, and treatment may sound easy enough; however there are problems. First, the early clinical appearance of many conditions is subtle and second, more overt clinical features usually are not distinctive. Because of these problems, it is almost always necessary to submit tissues for microscopic examination to determine their true nature — oral and maxillofacial pathologists are the specialists most qualified to provide such interpretations. Submission of tissues from the oral and maxillofacial structures to an oral pathologist provides the patient with care of the highest quality.
For more information please visit the website for the Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology http://www.aaomp.org
Oral & Maxillofacial Pathologists
Oral and maxillofacial pathologists must complete three years of post-doctoral training in an accredited program and subsequently obtain diplomate status from the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial pathology. They continue their professional development through annual seminars compliance in continuing competency assurance programs. Their unique interpretive skills and expertise focus on the oral and maxillofacial regions. At Oral Pathology Associates, Inc. we have two excellent board certified staff pathologists, Drs. Audrey Boros and Raymond Melrose. Dr. Parish Sedghizadeh serves as a consultant at Oral Pathology Associates, Inc.
We are proud to provide the following services:
- Tissue diagnosis of oral and maxillofacial specimens
- Immunofluorescence & immunohistochemical stains
- Consultation of radiographic and clinical images
- Second opinion review of microscopic slides
- Complimentary biopsy kits
- Complimentary delivery of biopsy specimens to our laboratory by the US Postal Service
- 24-hour turnaround time on most biopsies, excluding those that requiring further analysis such as special stains or decalcification procedures
- Gross description and orientation of tissue by Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists
- Complete written biopsy report including history, gross, microscopic description, diagnosis and comments (when appropriate)
- Availability of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists to discuss special concerns and procedures on a case-by-case basis
- Telephone reporting by the pathologist of all malignant diagnoses and unusual findings
- Upon request, we are happy to also provide histologic images (photomicrographs) of your case for your files
- Same day faxing of reports to offices
- Same day mailing of the original written report
- Direct billing to the patient from our laboratory
- Interest free payment plans for patients who have financial challenges
- Although we do require patients to pay for services independent of insurance (fee for service), we are happy to file a courtesy insurance claim on behalf of the patient when complete PPO medical and/or dental insurance information is provided (Note: We have opted-out of Medicare, we are not Medicare or state insurance program providers and we are not contracted with any insurance companies)